Monday 18 October 2010

Digital vs 35mm Film

Hello Blogworld

I'm still in pre-production on "Wheels", the casting call is still up on the sites until the 23rd October and applicants are still applying, the script is on draft five and just keeps getting better and better. I'm still really excited about the film but am somewhat hindered by the fact I have a chest infection.


To cheer myself up I did a bit of browsing on Ebay for an SLR camera and I discovered a lovely Olympus OM10 from about 1980 which came with a wide angle lens, a flash gun and the standard lens. All for the bargain price of £30. Having bought the camera I've been thinking about film's place and it's advantages over digital. The first advantage I can see is that you have to be economical with your shots and as a result you should become a much more disciplines film-maker/photographer. Advantage number two is the "look" of film, in my opinion digital can never replicate the grain and depth that film offers. Below are some shots taken with an Olympus OM10

 For a camera nearing 40 years old the quality is above and beyond modern digital cameras', the grain adds to the pictures unlike digital noise and the shadows looks beautiful. You cannot seriously say to me that in 35 years time people will be using 10 mega-pixel camera's or that they will match up to the technology available. I plan to use my new toy on the set of "Wheels" for production stills and hope to while away some weekends looking for shots outside of Stoke-On-Trent, but as the camera wont be here until late this week/ mid next week I'll have to focus my energies on kick this chest infection.

Feel free to comment and I'll update in the next few days

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment